Saturday, May 28, 2011

In Defense of Self-Loathing

The Gate Leading to Destruction is Wide and Many Will Find It1

Despite reports to the contrary, religion seems alive and well in America.  Every major city seems to have a megachurch or two, if not more.  Thousands have multiple “campuses” (campi?)—among them are churches like Willow Creek, Mars Hill and Saddleback.  Is Christianity the draw?  Is the gospel the Jesus commanded the apostles to preach the message that fills millions of seats in churches like these?  This is an important question for every Christian to ask, because even though your church may not be a multi-site megachurches, the pastors of such churches author the books on the shelf of your pastor’s office, or that are the center of discussion in your Sunday school or small group study.

Don’t get the wrong idea.  This post is not a rant on megachurches.  This is actually one of the more intensely personal posts I’ve written so far.  If you read on, you’ll see that I’m harder on myself than anyone else, in this particular post.  But I want to ask this question: is the true Gospel ever going to fill a church the size of the shopping mall?  Jesus described the road to life as narrow and few will find it.  The shelves of bookstores are lined with opinions of every color, shape and sort regarding God’s Word.  Isn’t it important to nail down what the Bible really says while navigating this hurricane containing every wind and wave of doctrine? 2 

So what is that narrow road?  Are there really only a few who find it?  If the gospel is really good news, why does Jesus warn us that the world will hate those who keep his word?  The truth is, the narrow path travels through truly appalling news before it gets to the good news of the Gospel.  When faced with this hard to swallow stuff, many take a turn to the wider path.

I Have Not Come to Call the Righteous but Sinners to Repentance3

I used to watch Dr. Phil.  I saw an episode where they were talking about leading causes of death in America.  There were things listed like heart disease, cancer, etc.  He finally revealed the number one cause of death:“denial”.   Of course, as Christians, we know that the one and only cause of death is actually sin, because the wages of sin is death.  But the number one cause of dying in our sins is also denial.

Jesus came for the sick, not for the emotionally moved or the mentally convinced.  The Jews looked for miracles.  The Greeks looked for fine arguments, eloquent speech.4   But Jesus came for the sick, for the publican, beating his chest, despairing because of his wretchedness and wickedness.  The rich young ruler, on the other hand, was in denial.  He said claimed to keep the law.  Jesus pressed him, trying to draw him out of his denial.  If you look at the Sermon on the Mount, you know that, in Jesus view, the young man lying in saying he kept the law.  But the young man could not face the truth.  He walked away. 5

The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things, And Desperately Wicked.  Who Can Understand it?5

Our whole culture is in denial, and for the most part, the church in America is not helping.  We have lost the idea of sin, of lostness, or wretchedness.  We like teachers who say how wonderful we are and hold to a theology of positive affirmation.  You rarely hear from the pulpit that our heart is desperately wicked, beyond cure and beyond understanding.  We don’t like to believe anything is beyond cure of our multiple drugs and brands of therapy.  We are hoping, I think, to cure death itself.

And we certainly don’t want to admit anything is beyond understanding.  Whole sections of Barnes and Noble are devoted to the idea that the heart can be understood.  Various sections of book stores, both secular and religious, are populated by books authored by those who claim to understand the heart’s inner workings.  But the vast majority of these self-help gurus will get it wrong.  There theories fail to factor in our fallenness.  We are considered malfunctioning machines in need of reprogramming rather than wicked and selfish creatures who ought to be exterminated for the good of the planet.  (Do we really think we’re that much better than those who lived in the days of Noah?)

No we’d rather think we’re not as bad as all that.  We’re just a bit off-course.  We just need a little assistance.  A little life coaching will do the trick.  What the bible claims that we are seems so unpleasant, sounds so hopeless!  Dead in trespasses and sins?  It sounds so negative!  We don’t want to listen to discouraging messages like that.  We rather hear that we need a bit of tweaking. We just need to try harder, believe in ourselves, pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and take another trip to the bookstore to find a different strategy.

These are the positive messages, paired sometimes with Vegas-style entertainment, that fills churches to capacity.  There might be talk of salvation.  Everyone wants to take care of the eternal end of things.  God may be mentioned, and perhaps Jesus. There is the obligatory altar call.  Some speak of salvation, but don’t say what we need to be saved from.  Some say we need to trust God, but don’t say what to trust him for.  They might—and this is a big might—even use the word “sin”, but likely substitutes include words like “brokenness”, or “baggage”, or “mistakes”, or “hang-ups” or “mistakes”.  Is this what we think of God’s justice?  That he would condemn us for “mistakes”?  We are in denial of our outright rebellion against the God who created us.  We are in denial regarding the fact that we have not even the ability within ourselves to submit to God or even to want to do so. 

There is No One Righteous.  No One Seeks God5

For many years, I was told in order to be saved, I needed to admit I was a sinner, but sin was never really defined.  I was told that a person stands condemned before God if he even breaks one of God’s laws.  But this always seemed pretty unfair to me.  And perhaps it would be.  The problem is, this scenario is completely hypothetical.  There’s no one that has only broken one or even just a few of his commandments.  We were born into sin, being descendants of Adam.  Without regeneration, every single one of us has a heart that, though maybe outwardly submitting to God, inwardly shakes its fist at God as a complete rebel.

Do Not Be Surprised at the Fiery Trial as Though Something Strange Were Happening6

So many teach heaven can be found on earth.  It would be nice to believe, but I see no basis for that belief found in God’s word.  Some have tried to tell me that the wretched man struggling with sin in Romans 7 is only struggling because he does not yet have the Holy Spirit.  And they teach Romans 8 contains some miraculous key.  If I could just understand it well enough, they say, I will be victorious over my sin and will no longer struggle. I was taught, over and over, that I just could grasp that I’m an “overcomer” that I could finally pull my life together and reach that new level of maturity I’ve been waiting for.

“More than Conquerors” Describes a Life Full of Trials and Tribulations (in all these things…)7

This is just one more angle on the same old prosperity gospel.  When people work to get the Bible to say what they want it to say, they tend to have a common theme.  God wants to make your life in this world better.  It’s not all about a future hope.  He is waiting to bless you with earthly blessings and wants to provide way of escape out of our current trial.  The only way that we will find such promises is if we isolate verses and read into them what we want to.  This is how I used to study my bible.  Some verse would suddenly means something new to me that I never meant before.  I would assume my epiphany was from the Holy Spirit and proceed to pull that verse from context and allegorize and make it all about me and apply it to my life, whether it was meant to applied to me or not.

But God is so gracious.  I spent much time studying God living and active word and seed was sown in my heart to lay dormant, then germinate, until I finally heard teachers that help everything fit together as it should.  As it was, the way I was approaching God’s word, I was fitting square pegs of His Word into round theological holes.  For a long time, being the smart girl that I am, would find ways to wiggle verses into odd-shaped holes.

Through the Law Comes Knowledge of Sin 8

Then the light came on—almost blindingly so.  I stumbled across teachers of God's Word who were so sure of truth and preached from broad tracts of scripture all at once and had such confidence in its interpretation.  They spoke of the wonderful thread of law and the gospel that ran through the whole Bible, from Eden to the New Jerusalem.    God’s law is given to expose sin.  Man either keeps trying merit favor with God and fails, or the law drives man to his knees (through the Holy Spirit’s conviction) and he repents and appeals to God’s mercy and depends on God for his salvation rather than self.  It has been by faith from first to last.9

Now actually, the way was paved for this new sight from a prayer I had prayed a few years before.  I started making some connections from what God clearly laid out in his word.  His word says he is completely and totally just10.  If God is just, then I truly deserved to have been on that cross myself and would be understanding, just as the thief to one side of Jesus who knew he was only dying for his crimes.11  I knew in my head, then, that I truly deserved to die for my sins, and if I could just see my sins through  God’s eyes, I would know I deserved not only every lash and nail and thorn suffered by Jesus, I also deserved Hell for eternity.12  I wanted to understand it. I wanted to be like the woman who anointed Jesus, who Jesus said loved much because she was forgiven much.13

So I prayed to God to help me see my sin for what it is.  I remember it well.  I was singing up on stage, and it was a musical interlude between two songs, and I prayed for God to show me, to help me understand exactly why I deserved death, why I deserved Hell.  It was probably a Good Friday service and my mind was on the cross.  He has certainly answered that prayer since then, and is still answering it.  I pray the Holy Spirit will continue to bring my sin into the light so that I may hate it, flee from it, and may be more and more grateful to my dear Savior who was willing to take it upon himself.

Everyone Who is Angry With His Brother Will Be Liable to Judgment14

Here is some of what I began to see.  I now see that much of the same misery that I’ve experienced I’ve also caused others.  I saw that murder dwelt in my heart at those times when I was angry with another.  Jesus said that we commit murder with these thoughts, and I was starting to see why that was true. 

You Will Be Delivered Over to the Jailers if You Do Not Forgive from the Heart15

For the first time, I experienced truly being wronged by people I really cared about.  I knew that I had not suffered much in my life.  Not really.  I had formerly considered forgiveness pretty simple.  But I had not experienced much yet in my life that would be hard to forgive.  Over the past few years though, I have been hurt deeply.  I know many have experienced worse, but for me, this was as bad it had ever been.   Hatred and anger and bitterness were so close to the surface in my heart.  So close that I realized I had been long infected and it was just waiting to metastasize.  I always thought of myself as someone who deserved to be treated well.  The seed of self-righteousness is all it takes to be infected.  Self-righteousness is at the root of so much evil.

Whoever is Slack in His Work is a Brother to Him Who Destroys16

The Holy Spirit also revealed my laziness.  I realized that resentment was my constant companion through my daily tasks.  Every time my family needs something from me, I became aware of the resistance that was simply always there, every time I was required to do what I’d rather not, whether it be cooking dinner, getting water, getting up to help a child who asked for help the minute I finally sit down to rest.   And yes, I love my husband and my children, and if I ever lost them… well I don’t like to go there or dwell on what that would be like.  But taking others for granted is what comes naturally when I don’t make an effort to be grateful.  I don’t have the emotional or mental capacity to constantly hold the picture in my mind of their possible loss.

So yes, I am lazy.  And most of the time, I manage to maintain a façade of outward diligence, but it doesn’t change that I’d rather be doing something else.  And when a moment presents itself for me to actually rest, I spend that precious time, most likely, in restless agitation, looking for entertainment or a way to fill my belly.  Or perhaps I waste those precious moments of leisure on worthless pursuits like Bejeweled, or Angry Birds.

And don’t get me started on the taming of the tongue and how quickly that lashes out to create wounds I wish I could take back as soon as I’ve caused them, especially in my children.  And there are the times I knew I should discipline a child, but didn’t want to take the effort.  There are the times I didn’t care enough for justice and didn’t listen well enough to my child’s explanation of “what really happened” and why.  I could go on, couldn’t I?  I won’t.  I would fill pages and pages at this point.

I get lectures from some friends who get mad when I talk like this, saying I’m being negative and that I’m inviting curses into my life by talking this way.  But I don’t worry about that any more.  I have stopped living under the law.  “Speak positively, you receive blessing.  Speak negatively, receive curses.”  This is simply another regulation to follow—another form of the law.

Living under the law is not just about the Mosaic law of the Bible.  You live according to the law whenever you do action A and expect result B, whether or not “B” is a promised reward or punishment.  The whole idea of living by faith is living under God’s grace and mercy and I learn to expect, or hope for, what I do not deserve or merit.  So whether it’s the perfect law of God, that Jesus fulfilled when he walked this earth, or some sad facsimile made by man, which Jesus rejected, I know I will fail if I live under either.  Every time I hear an “ought to” or “you must”, sin springs to life and I die.17

And this kind of negative talk, by which my friends are so certain I’m sinning, is biblically ordained.  It’s called acknowledgment of our sin that goes along with repentance.  If I live in denial of my sin, this is proof that his Word does not dwell in me.18

I know now that everyone, if they’re honest with themselves, could make a list quite like this. And even if they manage to reach a later stage of sanctification, this mess is not far beneath the surface.  And this is why the gospel is for “saints” as well as sinners.  I sin daily and I sin much and, though I will never cease to struggle against sin and God will continue to sanctify me, to keep me headed in the right direction, I will not be free of this struggle this side of Heaven. And I rejoice that his forgiveness is available daily and his Word contains the gospel in many and varied words to be a balm to my soul as I come to him for cleansing.

Our salvation is a process.  I have already been saved from the penalty of sin.  I am secure in Him.  I am being saved and delivered from the power of sin.  And one day, when I go to be with the Lord, I will be saved from the presence of sin.  And since I have believed, since he has given me the faith that saves, since I am sealed with the Spirit, then I will grow in my hatred of sin.

Anyone who has been born of Christ does not continue in sin.  As John said, “Do not love the world, or anything in the world.  If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the boastful pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.”19

Would we really tempt God that way, to continue purposely in the things that were paid for by the blood of his son, saying it doesn’t matter because it’s already paid for?  If you are a murderer, and someone else gives you complete pardon, do you say, “Well, I am in the good graces of him who would convict me, so I will go and murder as many people as I want!”  Have we no fear of God?  

The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, but fear of God is sort of out of style these days.  We do not tremble.  We are told that God is in love with us and would do anything for the apple of his eye and we step into the role of spoiled rich kids rather than pardoned criminals.  We would rather play the part of the bride, purified and ready for the wedding, and forget our role as maidens waiting for the groom, keeping our wicks trimmed, our oil filled and watching and not sleeping.20

I said before, the path to the good news leads through bad news.  (The good news, of course, is forgiveness of sins, in Jesus’ name, trusting in his work on the cross and his resurrection from the dead, rather than trusting in our own works.) But it’s not really bad news.  It’s the news we always knew to be true, but were spending all our energy covering up.  The good news is that our deep-seated sinfulness is forgiven as we take refuge in the strong tower of his name, “Jesus” (God saves) and “Emmanuel” (God with Us!)  This is good news: God’s blessing does not depend on my behavior. 
Humble Yourself Under God’s Mighty Hand 21

Why do others recoil at my low view of myself?  I’ve never been happier.  Pretending that I could actually live a righteous life was exhausting.  Always feeling like I was falling short was depressing.  Trying to be a “super-christian” or measure up to one, it’s a miserable way to spend this life on earth.

But the simple message of repentance of forgiveness of sins will not fill thousands of seats.  It will fill souls who hunger and thirst for righteousness. The default of the flesh is to run and hide like Adam and Eve.  But the life that is eternal is lived in the light.  Our nature loves flattery and the messages that tickle itching ears, saying “You can do it!”  But if by God's grace, you get a taste for the truth, nothing else will do, even when the truth offends.  I pray that I will always say, as Peter, “Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life!”22


13 comments:

  1. Ezekiel 36:23-26
    23 And I will vindicate the holiness of my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, and which you have profaned among them. And the nations will know that I am the Lord, declares the Lord God, when through you I vindicate my holiness before their eyes. 24 I will take you from the nations and gather you from all the countries and bring you into your own land. 25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you.
    (emphasis here...)
    26 And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.

    Romans 12:1-2
    1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. 2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your (emphasis here again...) mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.


    I could certainly be wrong here, but in reading these verses (and others, but these in particular) it would seem that for those who have come to Christ it is not the heart or their new self they should loathe or hate. It would seem to me that for believers it is the MIND that must be renewed; old patterns of thought, lies we believe, those wretched mental tapes we listen to that carry us away from our identity in Christ. The heart, the new heart, the heart given to us by God for HIS glory is already renewed.

    If that is a true statement. If he did in fact give me a new heart at the moment of my salvation, how then can I really loathe that which he paid such a high price to give me? That which he loves so dearly. That in which the Holy Spirit of God dwells.

    Food for thought....

    I hope you, Nick and the whole family are doing great and being blessed every day. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no quarrel with the idea that God gives us a new heart. Yes, our mind needs renewing. Where I would quarrel is the method of renewal. The means of Grace that has been given to us by his word has to do with Repentance and the Forgiveness of Sins. The Self-Affirmation style therapy is more aligned with Behavior Psychology than what is ordained by God in his word. Our focus is to be on Christ and not on ourselves at all. We have a new heart, but carry around with us, for the rest of our lives, this body of death that will be at war with our new heart until we die. This is why Romans 7 has to be about Paul after conversion. Because before conversion, his sin would be doing what he pretty much wanted to do anyway.

    We are to identify with what we will become when Christ is revealed at the end of time. We are called to hate sin because it is part of the self that is buried with Christ and will pass away at the end of time. There is no point in investing in something that is doomed. Our sin is why Christ died. But it is God who called me. He is the one who is also Sanctifying me. I used to be way too much in the business of self-sanctification.

    I've been through a dozen or more different forms of "The Lies We Believe" or "Search for Significance" type studies and followed those ways numerous times, trying to reprogram myself. It was just another work of the flesh, it seemed. It was about my effort still. And it all seemed focused on self and focus on self is always a recipe for misery.

    The great mystery is, as we expose ourselves over and over to God's law, to expose our sin, and the Gospel, to receive forgiveness, he changes me through Word and Spirit. I don't know how. It just does. The Gospel has never changed. It doesn't ever need to be repackaged. And the thing that had been lacking for me is that I didn't know the Gospel was for Christians too, not just non-Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, almost forgot to add this, I do believe in fighting against the lies of Satan. The thing is, I've started to understand that the Devil talks more in flattering words than he does in insults. I tend to sin way more when I'm thinking highly of myself than when I do not think more of myself than I ought.

    I hope your family is doing well too. I pray for you often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once heard it said this way by a particularly gifted Pastor.

    "True humility is not thinking less of yourself. True humility is thinking of yourself less."

    I certainly agree with the problem we have with the war of the flesh. But this war, as you indicated, is not with our renewed heart. We can trust that heart. We can be led by it. And it is by the light within it that our minds are renewed.

    Focus on despising our sin nature is still placing the focus on "self." Simply changing our attitude about "self" has not really made the appropriate shift of focus at all away from ourselves and on to God.

    Maybe the only way to actually find victory in this battle is to learn to care more for what God is doing outside of ourselves in the lives of others, joining him where he is at work, obeying where he leads and draws, and simply trusting that he will complete the work he started in us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where I think we disagree, mainly, is the idea that we can be led by our heart. My heart has led me all over the map over the years. I will probably treat this in a separate post. in fact, I did already with "In Defense of the Boring Christian Life". There is no biblical basis for being led by our passions or desires. His already clear, revealed word gives me enough to keep me busy. And I think we differ in our ideas of the "heart transplant". God has given us the Holy Spirit as a deposit guaranteeing the redemption to come. We are now sealed and in the process of being sanctified and we will be glorified. Our true selves will be revealed when Jesus is revealed at the Last Day. Until then, we carry this treasure in clay pots.

    And I think it's impossible not to have a view of yourself in general. How we view ourselves is important. I do not go looking for sin. But I humbly accept the word implanted (as James says) and the Holy Spirit convicts me when I see myself in the mirror of his word. When I come before his holiness as revealed in his word, and I ask for grace that he may grant me repentance to hate that sin as much as he does and to turn away from it because that sin put him on the cross.

    In 1 John, we are told not to love the World because the World and its Desires are passing away. John was not talking about something outside of us, but talking about the desire for the world that still dwells in is, that is in our flesh. Okay, I'd better stop rambling. I need to go gather these thoughts into a more organized form and post it more formally later. Thank you for commenting. It really helps to have feedback. Iron sharpens iron. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Something occurred to me as I was reading this last night and I wanted to throw this out real quick. We use the word heart in several ways, as does the scripture. So, it's probably pretty important that we make sure we are using that word in the same context with the same meaning.

    When I refer to the heart, especially in a spiritual sense, I am referring to the way it is used in Ezekiel.

    In Ezekiel the Hebrew word used for "heart" is 'leb' (labe.)

    H3820 - the heart; also used (figuratively) very widely for the feelings, the will and even the intellect; likewise for the centre of anything:

    In my own words, our core. That innermost force from which the will and intellect draw from.

    This is why I say we can trust that. That center is Christ. Our innermost force is the very spirit of God. The battle we fight is the flesh. This is where the sin nature dwells.

    As is used throughout Hebrews...
    sarx - G4561 - lesh (as stripped of the skin), that is, (strictly) the meat of an animal (as food), or (by extension) the body (as opposed to the soul (or spirit), or as the symbol of what is external, or as the means of kindred, or (by implication) human nature (with its frailties (physically or morally) and passions), or (specifically) a human being (as such.)

    Basically, I absolutely agree with you that the flesh is untrustworthy and we battle it daily. But our new heart is totally trustworthy, of God, and will not lead us astray.

    Blessings and have a great holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand what you're saying. it's the point of view from which I argued for years. It's the point of view held by John Eldridge. I problem is, there is no clear scripture saying that we have a completely sanctified, finished, sin-free heart at this time. We have the Holy Spirit. But there is no scripture I have found (whether it's your heart, kidney or whatever word might be used... Yes, kidney is in the bible. We interpret it "heart" sometimes.) that could be interpreted to trust your heart, your inmost being, anything like that. If you could point me to a new testament passage (or even old) that encourages such a practice, then I might change my mind. But as far as I can tell, the preponderance of evidence from his Word seems to discourage any faith in self. The Holy Spirit has been given to us to convict of sin, righteousness and judgment and to give us courage to face God's law as children who will receive grace at the judgment. (the Spirit that cries "Abba, Father".) Because when it sinks in, when the Holy Spirit reveals the overwhelming flood of our sinfulness, we need the Spirit to help us so our courage does not fail. Without the spirit, we would certainly be begging for the rocks to fall on us like those without the Spirit. Sometimes I wonder how I will be able to keep courage when he comes, but he will be revealed, just as he is revealed by fire here on this earth. I have found and will continue to find, I think, that my faith increases when trials increase. But I'm bunny-trailing again.

    "Trust in the Lord with all of your Heart and lean not on your own understanding." The problem is, I'm constantly falling back into leaning on my own understanding and it leads me astray constantly. There's no evidence for my understanding, my innermost self, being so sanctified that I can always trust it.

    The only thing I can trust is the Lord, and the only place I can be sure to hear him clearly is in his word.

    This whole disagreement here is actually pretty old and can be found among the works of Augustine and those he disputed. Also in the works the reformers. Specifically, i could point you to the Heidelberg disputation. But if you want a discussion in more modern language, the book I put a link to on my latest post (the link to "A Theology of the Cross and A Theology of the Cross" that I posted recently on my blog).

    Well, I'd better go. I've got to get some potato salad ready. The ribs are already in the oven! (Yum!) I hope y'all are having a good holiday too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One point of clarification for what I am saying. There is no faith in self. There is only faith coming FROM the heart God has given us. This is truly a pivotal distinction. It was for His glory that we got the new heart in the first place.

    I think you actually share one of the verses that support the perspective that the heart is trustworthy. There are two elements of the command expressed in the scripture above; trust with the heart which sits opposed to our understanding. Here we see a pretty strong example of how that inner core is set as preeminent to our intellect. In this, I too share the struggle with not relying on my own understanding which usually leads to disaster. But what am I to return to? My heart. Being led by it, which carries me back to the one who gave it to me.

    I hope the ribs were tasty. We had burgers and hot dogs. mmmmmmm. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you might be suffering from some subject/object confusion here. Trust is a transitive verb which needs and object. "Trust in the Lord with all of your Heart." The Heart (subject) trusts the Lord (object). It does not read "Trust in your heart for there dwells the Lord."

    As Paul said to Romans in chapter 10 of his letter, "Faith comes by hearing and hearing through the word of Christ." And also "[W]ith the heart one believes and is justified."

    What you're saying seems a little like saying "My feet move me therefore I will be moved and led by my feet." And Proverbs 3:5 does not put the "inner core" above intellect, because the Hebrew word "labe" used here includes the intellect and reasoning as part of the inner core. This could imply that, from David's point of view, reason and emotion could not be extracted from one another. And it could be argued that this is indeed quite true. Emotion infects our what we "know" or how we see things, and determining to know something can infect our emotion. They both need a compass so they do not spiral off down the path to destruction, and that is God's immutable Word.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have used this word picture frequently in teaching. It is very close to the one you use above with one difference. The word of God (specifically the scripture) is the map. The Spirit of God that indwells us is the compass.

    No argument at all that we need the Word of God. Absolutely necessary to keep us on course. However, one can dive as deep into scripture as they wish and never walk one step closer to Jesus. This is just like using a map without a compass. You can have the complete picture of your surroundings right in front of you. But if you lack a proper sense of direction then you can never walk the correct direction even with the map.

    Jesus calls out the Jews in John 5 about this very thing.

    39 You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

    Again, a strong inference to some other compelling force that is not the scripture. Without the new heart even the scriptures themselves lose impact. How often did Jesus say to people "Let those who have ears hear."



    Here again, a verse appears that seems to support the heart. "With the heart one believes and is justified."

    Think of this. If God instructed us to "believe" or "be justified" by a measure or means under our control, then the means of our justification amounts to nothing more than works. However, if he commands us to "be justified" by something he has provided in us then our justification is by his doing, for his Glory, and under His power.

    Lastly, let me offer Galatians 4:6 "God has sent forth the Spirit of his Son into our hearts crying, 'Abba Father!'"

    Notice here the Greek 'kardia' for heart. It is the exact same definition and usage as 'leb' in Hebrew.

    So when I consider Ezekiel which speaks of an unmerited exchange made for God's glory, numerous NT commands to live out this life in the name of Christ from the 'leb' or 'kardia', and the direct reference in Galatians of where the Spirit of God was deposited and now dwells, I come to the conclusion that this heart we now have belongs to God. He made it. He put it in us anew. And I trust it.

    My challenge now is learning to let it become a stronger guide than my flesh and my renewed thinking that endlessly evaluates all things through the lens of my experience rather than the lens of truth. But I do have the scripture that I may filter all things through for I know that this heart will never lead me in contradiction to God's word and therein lies my protection and integrity check.



    Good stuff. Wonderful discussion and really meaty subject. This is most certainly the deep end of the pool called life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness. I just wrote a length reply and it just disappeared because I accidentally navigated away while my daughter was talking to me!

    Trying again...First John 5. The Pharisees thought they could gain eternal life by following God's law. They were in great error to come to the mirror of his Word and come away in pride and assurance that they could actually do it. Rather, they should have seen that from the start, God called his people to come to a knowledge of sin through the law and receive his mercy to graciously and constantly extended to them. And the picture of their savior and the blood he would spill had been clearly seen in the scripture even since Eden and they failed to see the Lamb of God before their eyes. Jesus was in no way pointing them away from the Scriptures to find some other object of faith, and does not imply anything (you said Jesus was implying)but clearly states that He is the key and the center to all God's Word. He is God's Word. Life would be found through the Mercy of God that was always proclaimed through the scriptures. His Justice and Mercy meeting perfectly in the cross.

    I'm afraid I'm having trouble seeing a clear teaching that you can trust your heart if you've become a Christian. All teaching seems to point the other direction, including the ones you quoted.

    And yes, there is a great exchange. We are promised that Jesus became sin for us that we may become the righteousness of God. But scripture clearly states that this promise gives us a future hope. (See Hebrews and Romans 8 and Colossians 3 and... well so many others.) We hope for what we do not see. We wait eagerly for our adoption as sons. When he appears, we shall be like him. These are all in the future tense.

    My experience seems to testify that it is also a future hope. I still sin daily and sin much. Perhaps either I am not saved (of course this is not true) or perhaps I have to find some trick to tapping into this inner source of "goodness"? This is the most popular message taught, though I cannot find it in scripture. What sells books is having "special knowledge" (think gnosticism) and so we have plenty of that on the bookshelves these days, because old ideas, tried and true ideas, they don't sell well.

    I have a theory that this determination to seek full sanctification in this life is related to the American bent to fight mortality, such as the desire to find pharmaceuticals or health foods that cure all illness (and thus death itself perhaps) and to find eternal youth. This is just a theory.

    I spent many years blowing hither and thither on every wind of doctrine and constantly found myself having to retract things I'd been so sure about before. I have now found that there are teachers i can come under that teach with confidence with scripture being almost every other word that comes out of their mouth. I have found that there is a thread of doctrine that can be traced from the apostles to the early church fathers then recovered by the reformers. I guess I've just become incredibly conservative, but I'm ready to take my stand on old doctrine, because i don't want to have to move again.

    Although this "old" doctrine is actually sort of new to me, because I'd been buried in new doctrine (from the last few hundred years or so) for a few decades. Though there really is no new doctrine. I'm reading old, old books lately and learning that there are no new arguments.

    Thank you for this good discussion. And by the way, yes, my ribs were great! I have to do do penance on the treadmill now. :)

    ReplyDelete